This is my 3rd year of writing an end of year story, and it’s something I look forward to each December. History was my favorite subject in school, and I’ve always believed that understanding what’s happened in the past gives me a better map for navigating the future.
- Better health through 7 hours of sleep and regular exercise
- Not working after 7:00 pm, waking up at 5:00 am
- Starting a YouTube channel
- Leading User Onboarding at ConvertKit
- Selling my ideas
- Not championing User Onboarding at ConvertKit
- Defining my niche
- Focusing on sketchnotes
A better focus on health
No work after 7:00 pm, wake up at 5:00 am
The key to waking up easy is to go to bed early. The key to going to bed early is to stop working and allow your mind to cycle down.
Finding my voice on a YouTube channel
Leading User Onboarding at ConvertKit
Selling my ideas
- Is there supporting proof from customers?
- How will this solve a problem for customers?
- What is the outcome for completion?
- Is there a prototype we can build to test the idea?
Not championing User Onboarding
Defining my niche
Focusing on Sketchnotes
Two ideas I’ve been testing lately are illustrating help documents and live sketchnotes of small group workshops, like Design Sprints. Help docs can be a little confusing to start with (that’s why they need a doc), but a good visual representation can go a long way to solidifying the concept for a customer.
Finally, I have a bit of a partnership in the works that I hope will teach even more people how to sketchnote and capture ideas, more to come soon!
Goals & Practices for 2018
Before any project is included in a cycle, we’ve already figured out what we think the six week version is. We don’t include planning in the cycle time — all the planning and consideration happens in the pitch. It has to happen before the work is slated to be done by a team. That way the six weeks is all implementation and execution.
- Revamping my sketchnote course with new videos and better content.
- Taking a series of UX/UI design courses and tutorials and sharing my progress.
- Building a web app (super quick six week version).
- Helping my wife build out her content and video library for TheSimpleGym.com.
- Podcast test or something around onboarding principles.
Better notes & reviews
Learn UX principles
Question implied reality
Other things + people I learned and loved in 2017
- Best new voice: Jocko. Get after it.
- Best books: The One Thing, Tribe of Mentors, Win Bigly, Principles, The Four.
- Best podcasts: Masters of Scale, Tim Ferriss Show, Hardcore History, How I Built This
- My top 100 songs on Spotify
- Best blogs: Sarah K Peck, Wait but Why, Mr Money Mustache
- Best purchase of $100(ish): Apple Airpods
- Bullet Journaling: watch my 2018 planning video
- Mobility: see my interview with KC Proctor here
- Solo backpacking: watch the vlog here
- Being a part of my sister’s and brother’s weddings
- The continued adventure of fatherhood
- My first Spartan Race completed!
- Meeting Seth Godin at Craft & Commerce
- First Product Manager conference
- Paying off $20k in debt
- Two more ConvertKit retreats!
Everything I Know
I write about developing your best self, regularly delivered on Friday