Since I’m on the road a decent amount, and have grown bored with traditional gyms, I’ve gone back to the basics of movement and using body-weight (BW) exercises to stay in shape. The great thing about any of these movements is that they require no equipment or special space. They can be done in your living room, hotel room, or the local park. The only thing stopping you is YOU.
- Running – Just lace up your shoes and go. Anytime, anywhere. Start with what you’re comfortable with, maybe it’s 10 minutes, or run 4 minutes walk 2. Just get out there.
- Push-ups – The most common BW exercise. Make sure your body stays in alignment from shoulders to heels. If the reps get too much, put your knees on the ground and keep going. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAa-x7aevns]
- Burpees – You should just watch this video to get the idea (mute your volume if you don’t want to hear the rock music). A great workout!
- Form Squats – No need for weight, simply keep your back aligned, feet apart, and lower at the knees, butt coming straight down. [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI]
- Core Work – Sit-ups, 6 inch Killers, Planks, Russian Twists, Supermans. There are several BW core exercises, mix it up to keep your muscles guessing.
For a good list of no-equipment workouts, check this out ( via the good people at Carolina CrossFit in Columbia, SC).
Everything I Know
I write about developing your best self, regularly delivered on Friday
ps - there's no bonus for you to download and never look at again.